Thursday, November 17, 2011

Surgery Day - Nov. 17


Reminder: To read other days following my surgery see right hand menu "day's" that follow after pictures to the right (ex: Day 1, Day 2, etc).

If you want to book mark this site it's best to click on "Downs Bunion News" and then I believe it will always take you to the most recent post.
















Hello,
So today was the day. Right now I am laying in bed resting and have slept a good 3 hours since my surgery. Here is what I recall. I dropped off kids off today at 7:15 by a friend and was home by I think 11:15 a.m. We got to the surgery center by 7:35 and of course we didn't need to be there until 8:15 so all my husband could do was laugh at me. We sat and chatted in the car for a while and then went in and everything started right away. Registration was quick and then I was off to my room to get prepped for surgery. A nurse came in to help me and go over general information. Had me clean my foot as seen in the photo. Then the IV nurse came in and of course she couldn't get the IV to stay in and another nurse had to come in and try again. I have lots of valves in my blood which is a good thing but the needle wouldn't stay in so they did whatever they needed and got the IV to work. During this whole process my nerves set in and I'd cry and get a bit impatient from sitting, yet the whole process did go quickly. My doctor came in to say hello and mark up my foot and then I was wheeled into the room and I remember 4 people looking down on me and saying something and then I was out. I woke up and kept dropping the F--- bomb word (smile) every time I talked. "I don't F--- know?" WTF, etc...

In the waiting room the doctor talked to Steve and said my first question to him was "will I be able to run again". The doctor said everything went great and he was able to straighten my toe, he used two pins, which I guess is normal, he said my bones were really healthy and strong and could tell I was a runner, he mentioned everything was really healthy and he wished all his surgeries were this easy. He mentioned I should heal well. When I woke up in my room with Steve again my first words to Steve were "will I be able to run" and then "WTF is going on", and then something like "Steve I love you dearly but you drive me nuts sometimes because we are so different" then I brought up my son's math test he has to take tomorrow and then I apologized to him for how I acted at home this a.m.

Let's just say you feel out of it and my mind was racing and I was analyzing everything. I even asked the nurse if she loved what she did and I think I asked her how old she was too. when she brought me crackers I asked if she had fruit instead (go figure). Anyone that knows me knows this is normal behavior for me but now picture me being on steroids and you can imagine the situation. I am embarassed to post this short video my husband took but it gives you an idea how out of it you are when you come to it.

For my surgery they put you to sleep but not totally out of it, but enough to the point where you don't give a dam. I don't remember anything. I didn't hear a thing, Nothing!! I do remember my nurse saying today you don't want to go on a computer or talk on the phone because you might continue not to remember things. Okay, so enjoy this silly clip and I do laugh because when Steve said "I sent you the video" I said "what video?". Also, there is nothing flattering about this video either so ignore the angels and paused shot of my lovely nose at the end of it (smile).


So all and all I feel fine. The doctor mentioned as soon as I feel the tingling sensation in my foot to take my first pain pill which I felt about 20 minutes ago so now the drugs have began. Also... Thanks Deb and Sara for being open regarding some toilet issues you had because I asked my doctor about that and he recommended getting ahead of the issue now verses waiting to get plugged up due to the pain meds, so I also had my daily dose of Miralex. I can say I am starting to feel sleeping again. My children will be home in 30 minutes so we will see how much sleep I get and which boy is the first one to jump on my foot.

So it's done and over. I have no regrets. My next steps are I go back to the doctor on 11/22 for him to clean my wrapping, etc... 11/29 I go and get my stitches out and then will get a boot. He said the key right now is ICE ICE and ICE and keep the foot elevated, so that is what I will be doing. I am not even going to check work email today or tomorrow because then I know I won't be able to rest. I am sure by Sunday I will catch up on things. Who knows. At this point it's one hour at a time and I just pray pray pray that the pain isn't to bad or pray I'm like you Deb and have NO pain. Right now my foot just feels like it's asleep. I also do have ice wrapped on it. I was given crutches to use and will have to force myself to use them. I can apply pressure to my heal, so really walking isn't an issue as long as no pressure goes to the top of the foot/toe.

Okay whoever is reading this I hope you are enjoying it and not thinking.... that Julie is some crazy chick! (Smile). Pray I have a restful day and next few days ahead.

Again Sarah, Deb, and KatBird I can not thank you enough and hope your bunions (or lack of bunions now) continue to be pain free.

Oh and poor Allie is a little confused why she has to stay on the floor, yet I am sure at some point too she will be jumping on my foot and causing me lots of pain. This dog is 12 years old and has pretty much never left my side except when I leave the house without her. She just keeps looking at me as if she is the one suffering. Go figure. Okay, I should probably go back and re-read this yet I'm getting really tired right now and need to go.

Note: Comments from this page are below. For other posts scroll up and look to the right.

8 comments:

  1. Julie, I've been waiting to see this post all day. So glad you stayed awake and felt well enough to write. You crack me up and that video is great.

    I forgot about the drug high at the hospital. I don't recall saying anything crazy or swearing (and no one told me I did!), but I do remember feeling the rush and saying "Wow, this is amazing. I feel really good!"

    I'm glad you decided to take a couple of days off and hope you have a peaceful and pain free evening. Let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I'm 25 and I'm going for a bunionectomy on Tuesday. I'm extremely nervous. I wonder how you're doing post-op thus far. This blog is extremely helpful, and couldn't have come at a better time for me.

    When you get to the hospital, what did you wear? I planned to wear pj's, but it looks like they make you change into a gown... which means if I'm in undergarments and a gown, I should think about waxing.

    Today, I went to see my PCP for a pre-op physical. They made me do an EKG and drew two tubes of blood! I had no idea this was necessary. Results should be back tomorrow, but I wish I'd known what today would entail!

    I'm extremely nervous about Tuesday, and the scarring and pain afterwards. Please let me know how you're doing! I have a little dog too, who sleeps with me. I'm hoping he doesn't eat my dressings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to wax or shave do it today or tomorrow and then don't do anything else prior to your surgery. This past Tuesday (two days prior to my surgery) the nurse told me not to shave or anything between now and the surgery, so there is no open cuts, etc.. to prevent infection.

    I wore bagging sweat pants and a comfy top and yes you change right away when you get there and then as soon as your done your back in your clothes once you are able to get up a walk a little. I was out of my chair I think within minutes. I needed to pee, so I walked with crutches to the bathroom. You do get to keep underwear on under the gown and my doctor as far as I know (smile) only saw my feet. My gown was longer than usual. I'm sure the gowns only purpose is if something extreme happens and they need access to your heart or something during your surgery (which is unlikely).

    Don't worry if there is something wrong from your tests today they will let you know ASAP. I had a little bacteria in my urine and was put on some meds for two days. It was very minor. I had my pre-op check up though a good week or so before, but at this point don't waste your time worrying about something you have no control over. If they find something you'll know or will get a call. They know you have surgery next week so I'm sure your tests are a priority. The blood tests are just making sure your body is ready and all is good. It's good they took the tests look at it that way.

    Go through Sarah's blog (the one I set above), she has recommendations on things to put on the scar for good healing, yet I know hers is healing well as well as another girls (Katbird) mentioned today in Deb's blog that her scars are looking great. Again, don't worry about this now. You have time before you get to the scars. For pain just know everyone is different. I talked to several people that went to my doctor and each person's experience was different. Talk to your doctor about it and see what you can do if your having awful pain. This is also one of my concerns. Right now what i fell almost 11 hours later... my middle toe is still numb (no feeling) which is normal. My doctor actually said my foot might feel numb until tomorrow and I was hoping for that but I have feeling in my big toe and my middle toe. The top of my foot has that itchy feeling and my foot when I move it feels like it's asleep. I am in NO pain. I did take a pain pill at 2:30 and 6:30 because my doctor mentioned to take it when I feel the tingling feeling, yet my husband thinks I should want on the pain pills until I am in pain. Not sure I agree with that. Tonight right now I plain to take another pill at 10:30 and 2:30, yet now I don't know if I should or not, but knowing me and what a wimp I can be I probably will do it. Your dog shouldn't get at the dressing because you will either have a shoe on or a boot. See other pictures on Deb's and Sarah's blog - they went home with massive moon boots already where I think I first get my boot on 11/29. Every doctor is different as you know.

    Let me know any other question you have. My advice is just get out and enjoy life between now and Tuesday.

    Okay this might be too much information too, but for the record if you have your period wear a pad vs a tampon do to the whole memory loss thing. I personally think I have been fine regarding my memory since I've been home, yet maybe not and I just don't know it (smile).

    And know I was very nervous. It's only normal. We are human, but I had to laugh because every time I was handed off to a different person I heard the last staff person say "She's really nervous" and I was. I'd cry, laugh, and just let my body go through the emotions. It's a scary thing we are doing to our bodies, yet in the long run I gotta be hopefully that all will be good.

    Thanks for writing!! You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First here are two other blogs you'll enjoy and will find helpful
    http://mytwolittlebunions.blogspot.com/
    http://mybunionsurgeryjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting comments about shaving. No one mentioned a word on that to me. I shaved my legs the night before because I knew I wasn't going to feel up to it afterwards for awhile. I wore loose workout pants and a comfy shirt. Shortly after I got there I was put in the standard "air in the back" gown. Undies ok - everything else off. I agree, likely in case of an emergency. I was very happy with my clothing choices when I had to get clothes over the monster moon boots I got. Not sure why no one else got those?! Try to relax and think positive - really helped me tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Julie! Yours and the other two blogs were so helpful! Ya'll have inspired me to make my own! My first entry is kinda long, and I still have to post a couple photos, but it's up if anyone wants to read:

    I think this is the URL: http://bunionectomy-angel102008.blogspot.com/2011/11/bunionectomy-journey.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. For newer posts hit "newer posts" or scroll up and hit on the next day you'd like to read on the right side menu bar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted you to know that I stopped by, Your brother Rick

    ReplyDelete