Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 5 - photo gallery (1st Post Op Dr. Visit)

Mr. Ice Man!!

Today was my post op doctor appointment. As the nurse is unwrapping the dressing she says "so how long has this dressing been wet". Me: "Oh, did the water soak all the way through" Nurse: Yes, isn't your foot cold? I can feel the coldness through my gloves Me: Oh, well I decided last night to try and take a shower and didn't think all the dressing got wet Steve: She also has been icing a lot Nurse: Yeah, her foot is REALLY cold. Me thinking: YEAH it's frozen from icing it 15 times a day!!!

Ta Da!!! Pretty, Hey!!

Before shot below: Notice the big ball on the side of my right foot!!!

And now look - it's gone and both feet sort of look like each other!!
Yippee - hopefully no more pain when I run, jump rope, do sprints, do Mtn Climbers, burpies, and of course jumping on that trampoline!!! And think of the new found comfort in my shoes!!
Steve waiting patiently - Mr. Happy all the time.


Highlights from my visit:
  • Steve calling me 90 minutes before my appointment to confirm when he should pick me up and being a smart ass saying... well last time we got to your appointment 45 minutes early, so I was thinking I need to pick you up by 12:30 since your appointment is at 1:30. And I simply said "Just pick me up by 12:50, so we get there a little early. Of course he gets home at 1:00 and we pull into the parking structure at 1:27 and on the drive he did ask "are we going to 1 S. Park St?" And I said "I don't remember what was on the invitation I sent you" and he confidentially says "1 S. Park St". We go in and register and hear "oh, your not in the right location. You need to be at 20 S. Park Str." Steve got the evil eye look from me as the clock now says 1:33. I grab my lovely crunches to hobble back to the parking structure and of course I grab out my phone and look at the invitation and say "Gee, the invitation says 20 S. Park Street". Luckily 20 S. park street is just a cross the street. This is the story of my life. To give Steve some love he did say "I'm sorry I create extra stress in your life". He KNOWS I can't STAND being late.
  • The doctor said everything looks great. He said "I can tell you have been icing and elevating your foot" he said the scar is healing great and looks wonderful. And then he added "You don't have to ice your foot 24/7 and all I could do was look at Steve and smile.
  • The doctor said I can drive after I get my boot NEXT WEEK, but I should not drive in the boot, but in my surgery shoe I have now. I can start more physical exercise 3 weeks after 11/29, but it's fine to do upper body work, core exercises now.
  • So it was a super doctors visit. He said to keep elevating my foot. He mentioned to keep icing it as needed and know that my foot will naturally tell me when I'm over doing anything.
  • I asked if he has any concerns about me getting the full range of motion back and he said "No". I'll give you some exercises to do, but really I'm not worried about that at all.
  • I asked if I should take supplements to help the healing process. He said if I want that's fine but really my bones looked so strong he doesn't see any issuing with it healing or needing anything additional.
  • He was happy with everything and I gotta admit I'm sort of giddy myself. I did ask him if I should keep taking Ibuprofen even though I don't feel pain and he said "no, only when you feel pain otherwise it's not really doing anything. So folks I am now officially going to stop with all pills (no Ibuprofen unless needed). Let's hope I still feel the same tomorrow.
  • He mentioned I had very little swelling and if I keep icing the foot and elevating it he thinks things will continue to go well.
  • I asked for his ideas on showering and he laughed and said take a bath. He said he tried most of the products out there and they all tend to leak, etc...
  • We got home and what's the first thing Ice Man says "let's get ice on that foot and then I gotta get back to work". At this point all I can do is surrender : )
Help me out here/Question:
I scheduled this surgery months ago. During that time Steve came home one day and said "my buddies and I are planning on going to the Badger game on Nov. 26 (Saturday). And I said "Oh, you do realize that's a little over a week AFTER my surgery" and he said "Oh" and I said "As long as you figure out something for the kids I don't care if you go, but I can't take care of the kids all day by myself that day". Steve: "Oh sure, no problem I will figure something out". Then a month or so ago I said "Steve, just letting you know my surgery is coming up and I'm not sure what you planned yet for the kids". Steve: "Oh yeah, I'll look into that". Two weeks ago "Steve, where are the kids going on that Saturday". Steve says "Right, I better call my parents" A week ago... STEVE are the kids going to your parents. S: I don't know yet. This past Monday he says "Well, my parents can't take the kids". I give him a look and said "that sucks". Today he comes into the bedroom and says "So on Saturday my buddy is picking me up at 11:00. The game is at 2:30. Then I'll hang out for a while and take a taxi home late in the evening". I listen to him and say "Really and where are the kids going to be". He shines me his pearly whites and says "I don't know can't you take care of them" and I say "Have you given your buddies a heads up that you might not be attending". And then he goes into the speech of "come on I only get together once a year with all these guys" blah blah blah.... And now I look like the bad guy because I'm telling him he has to find a home for the kids.

Am I wrong here? Is it realistic for me to take care of the kids while I am laying in bed starting at 11:00 am through 8:00 pm? And then I asked the doctor this same question and he laughed and said "Well, it depends does your husband have an extra ticket for me". REALLY!! did you not just say I need to stay in bed and keep my foot elevated. Again, the story of my life!!

Other updates:
  • I had a lovely visit from one of my dear friends this a.m. So good to catch up and hang out.
  • Slept for crap last night. Lights out at 9:00 and I was still wide awake at 1:00. Finally I went and took one of those all natural sleeping pills. I did have fun connecting with my oldest sister since she was also awake. But learned her 12 year old golden retriever has bone cancer, so that's sad.
  • Pain: Well up to this point I have been pain free, but last night at 4:00 a.m. I was sleeping and all of sudden I felt like my foot was being pulled apart. It took me a while because I didn't know if I was dreaming or if it was really happening. And realized this is PAIN and it's REAL. At first I was going to grab the strong pain meds but just kept breathing and took some Ibuprofen and within 10 minutes or so the pain calmed down.
  • Tried sitting at the work desk in the basement with my foot up under my desk, but that didn't work. My foot started to throb right away, so I have to think through that process a little more. I have some meetings I'd like to conduct next week if possible.
  • My doctor: http://www.uwhealth.org/findadoctor/Provider.action?_sourcePage=/results.jsp&id=6556 He has been wonderful to work with and would totally recommend him if your in the Madison, WI area!!! I like that he gets to the point, yet has a decent sense of humor too. And he's not so bad to look at either. Maybe one of these times I should try to dress up and look nice for one of my appointments : ) (kidding)
So all and all life is still good. I just hope I can get to sleep tonight. Yet, all I do is lay around and rest.

The next big milestone is on 11/29 - Stitches come out. I am getting a little worried how I will be able to keep entertaining you until then, so I can't promise these daily updates will continue. I will do my best. If you made it through this long message - Thank you!! And if there is something I am not covering just let me know.


18 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Caught with a wet foot by the doctor! You had to have known it was soaked by how cold it was, no?

    Interesting that your toes aren't any bluer than mine, considering my surgery was 10 days before yours. Must be Ice Man's handy work. I don't have an Ice Man in my house. LOL!

    I must be getting tired because I spent a couple minutes checking out your left foot and wondering why your left toes weren't blue.....

    Glad to see all is healing well and my two cents for Steve is better get on the horn and get something figured out - maybe paying your normal sitter to spend the waking part of the day at the house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your appointment went well. Your foot looks much better than mine did even at 2 weeks. If I could post pictures here I'd send you my before and after x-rays and a picture of my foot that I took last Wednesday (two week mark). I can e-mail them if you'd like to compare :)

    I had my left foot done, so I was able to drive as soon as I got off Vicodin. I started walking without crutches about 10 days in. I still can't stand on my foot without the boot on, so I still can't stand in the shower (which I'm dying to do!!) It took me over a week to get the bandage off and be able to get it wet. I'm still washing my hair under the faucet and it's not comfortable at all.

    I have my third appt next Monday. I'm hoping to get out of this boot. Once the boot is off, I have to move to the ugly looking shoe. I'm worried that my foot is still a little too swollen to fit into a shoe though.

    I'm 26, and currently staying at my parents during this process. My dad had foot surgery the same day I did by the same Dr. He had reconstructive surgery and has a cast on. So my poor mother has been taking care of both us and now that she's back at work, I'm taking care of dad. It's definitely been an interesting month- I probably should have blogged it.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I was also told I could use an exercise bicycle or elliptical, but I haven't tried. I think that will be my goal next week, along with standing in the shower :)

    - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should totally let your great husband go to the game so that your dr can come over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we all love the ice man! But I concur, he should have made arrangements for the boys...no need to stress the patient out...the dr. visiting does sound interesting....perhaps just the thought of it could trigger another story (we're overdue for reading one of those)!!?? Love you! thanks for the visit yesterday and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe in Pittsburgh11/23/11, 8:44 AM

    Let the hubby go to the game! He has been helping you out a lot!! Just keep the kids in that day--rent some movies.
    P.S. I'm having joint fusion on the bunion on my left foot next wednesday. Hope mine turns out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe - I'll see what I can do for him just because you took the time to write (smile). Please keep me informed how things go for you next week. Good Luck and trust me when I say I will think of you next week and hope all goes as planned.

    Jen: All I can do is smile! And not even comment : ) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent the pictures! Hope you got them. I still haven't tried to shower, maybe I'll try this weekend. I've been going a lot lately- lunches with friends, movies, etc. and when I get home my foot hurts much like it did before the surgery (the same dull pain in that area) I think I need to take it easy. I'm going to try the bicycle at my gym next week. I'm a runner and prefer to run outside, and only go to the gym if it's hot or rainy.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie, Yes I got the photos!! Thanks! I forwarded them to Deb too since you two were so close with your surgeries. I think your foot looks great! And pretty toes. What a difference toe nail polish makes : )

    Keep me posted when standing in the shower works for you. Also, keep me posted how things feel once you add cardio back in your day. Hopefully the pain is just from over doing it and not the same pain. That is one thing that's in the back of my mind. Yes, all is going well regarding my recovery, but is the pain going to be gone once I start back to my normal cardio workouts. I will be bummed if it's not gone, yet I won't regret trying to get rid of it. I used to always just run or bike and do cardio, but in the last year I added weight training and boy did it make all the difference in everything. So now I try to do weight training every other day and run on the opposite days or do some other cardio thing. Since I'm not a big weight person I tried many different things. And found I love TRX and hot yoga. Look up TRX and see if there is a class in your area and try it. http://www.trxtraining.com/trx-training/?Screen=trx-training Have a great day! Don't go crazy on the food : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. So is your husband going to the game? Also, I think I know now why you wanted that Bunion surgery done after viewing the link you posted of your doctor (smile) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out Day 7 post to get your answer (smile). yes, he gets to go. Thanks for the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious if you know who the post was from ....just above yours? Or when I choose anonymous, do you not know who that person may be :) (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, when I get an anonymous post it comes in as anonymous.

    The one I got the other day on 11-25 I did I wonder if that's either K or S. I'm guessing it's K, but I could be wrong. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I am laughing and wondering if the one above is from S!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really impressed with the attitude expressed on this site for being simple, open, honest, caring, hardworking and sincere, qualities that go together in activities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I try to have the attitude that things are what they are and accept it verses let it get me down. All is still good with my foot. Over the last 4 months I was able to run 2 - 1/2 marathons and I'm in the process of training for another one on Sept. 22. I have no pain what so ever in my foot. I wish everyone had easy surgeries as I know not all turn out the way mine did. I'm back in gear with water skiing too this summer and LOVE it. I truly forget that I even had surgery. Good luck with your surgery or if you had surgery I hope your recovery is going well!

      Delete
  16. Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol !

    ReplyDelete