Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day 2

Hello,

So just thought I'd do a quick report out regarding the rest of my day yesterday through this a.m. I did get out of bed yesterday for the first time at around 6:30 p.m. to have some b-day cake with the family. And then we all went and watch a movie on the couch which was nice.

So you'll all be proud that I did space out my prescription pain pills yesterday. I only took one at 6:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. AND my foot felt the same. I had no pain over night so this a.m. instead of taking the normal pain pills I am changing over to ibuprofen. So we will see how this goes and if I feel any different being on more normal pain pills. Right now I don't feel pain but I can tell my foot is more sensitive to little movements I make. I can feel a pulling/tightness sensation when I shift my foot. Getting up today my foot felt more like a brick/heavy. And when Steve put on the 10 pounds of ice on my foot today too I could feel pressure. Steve is starting to drive me a little nutty with the ice because he piles it on and wraps/ties the ice to my shoe and I literally feel like I have 10 plus pounds pulling on my toe/foot. This a.m. when I mentioned to him about lightening the load he just said "you have to keep icing your foot" and then he stuck another pillow under my foot. You gotta understand Steve is a big bicyclist and he religious ices his knees and back every a.m. and night, so this is one task he does not forget to do. He forgets to take off the 10 pounds of ice often. Yet to be honest I don't actually feel the cold through my shoe and the bandages. I don't know am I suppose to be taking this shoe thing off or not. Okay, Steve just walked in the room and said "you are probably ready to ice again, right" and I just laughed because I have only been up 2 hours and I already got iced once. Plus he brought be 3 scrambled eggs and said "you need protein" and I said "how many eggs are in that bowl" because it looked like a ton and again he said "You gotta eat this protein". When does he go back to work (smile)? I am kidding he has been helpful.

I actually think I slept great last night. Probably getting out of bed and moving to a different location prior to bed helped.

Today Riley (my son) has his b-day party and once again I am leaving Steve to take charge. It's at a sport place and I asked my friend's to ask some of their husbands to stay and play with the 14 - 8 year old boys. There too I laugh because I've been telling him what to get and last night I said "You did pack plates, forks, and spoons, right". And again I heard "Oh, yeah those would be good things to take along". I can only laugh because some how even if he forgot these items I'm sure all would be fine too.

I did remind him today that laundry probably needs to be done for the kids and he said "oh, okay", so I'm curious if he remembers to do this or not. Anton then did say "yeah, I only have one pair of pants in my closet". I haven't even been upstairs so I can just imagine what their rooms look like. Let go, Let god.... (smile).

Everyone has been great. Okay. Not sure what the day has in store for me today, but I think I'm weaning off the pain pills which is good. I'll keep up with the Ibuprofen though for a few days and especially at night. I am curious if more pain sets in today or not. Otherwise it's a day of rest, I have the movie horrible bosses to watch, and I figured I should finish a book I started a few weeks ago. Okay, this might be too much information, but I was also curious when I should venture in for a bath or shower. Not to sound gross but I haven't showered since Thursday (smile), yet our bath is upstairs and I have no interest climbing stairs case to get there and I just haven't thought through showering with a bag on my foot, etc.... I might have to go another day on this one. I have been washing my face and brushing my teeth each day if that score me any points (smile).

Okay, maybe I should shower today now that I just made myself conscious of things (smile). Honest to god all I can do is laugh. And I'd still love to take this darn shoe off that is squeezing my foot tight. Life really is okay.

Enjoy your day and if anything eventful takes place on my end I'll let you know. Keep praying for no pain - thanks!!

Tootles,
Julie

3 comments:

  1. FYI: the time is off on all these posts by 2 hours. I can't figure out how to get the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are doing quite well and in good hands with "The Ice Man" - LOL!

    You know I've got these huge boots on both feet. I had to open them up at my feet to let me feet breath the first several days because I figured the extra heat in there wasn't going to do my swelling feet any good.

    The doctor had me putting my ice pack under my knees as there is no way to get the ice to my feet. Now that my stitches are out I can take the boots off and put the ice directly on my feet.

    We have a very large ice wrap thing that I purchased for a shoulder issue a few years ago and it works out very well folded under my legs or across both feet know. Doesn't sweat, doesn't need to be refilled and boy that thing is COLD! I have to cover it with a towel so I can stand it.

    Any clue how swollen you are? Can you tell by looking at your toes? Wonder if your toes will turn black and blue like mine. Can you believe my toes are STILL black and blue!!! I thought they have turned lovely shades of yellow and brown by now. I still think this is a bit weird and hadn't seen any other posts about this.

    As for the shower. I've showered every day. I'm a little neat freak like that - LOL! I went up/down the stairs for the first several days on my butt. We have a hand-held sprayer in the shower. I had a stool in the shower and a folding chair outside the shower where I put my feet up. I could use the sprayer to shower and never got my boots wet at all. It really worked out much better than expected.

    Now that I can get my feet wet I take my boots off outside the shower and carefully step inside BAREFOOT and still shower sitting on my stool. I have been carefully walking around the bathroom bootless for the couple minutes after my shower while I am getting dressed.

    Where there's a will, there's a way! :}

    Hope you have a great rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, Steve has a new name now because of you : ) Thanks!!!

    I might have just answered some of your questions in my last post. No, I can't tell how much swelling I have going on. I can see my second toe is a little swollen but it doesn't look bad or gross me out. Yes, the toes I can see are black and blue just as you described.

    Having those moon boots out of the door had to be tough. I couldn't imagine it because my little shoe doesn't get hot or it's not bulking, etc.. Yesterday we did start to take the shoe off and ice the foot more and then I can feel some cold but nothing dramatic, but at least I can feel it.

    Thanks for the ideas on the shower. We also have a hand held that I can use. I just haven't been real motivated to shower - I know sounds gross (smile), but don't worry I'll get to it one of these days : )

    Gosh - barefoot in the shower - you have come so far in a week, hey!!! Do you feel like you have ups and downs. Some days you feel great and other days you just want to sleep or are things pretty consistent for you now as long as you don't over do it? I am afraid that right now I feel so good and I hope things just keep getting better, yet I'm afraid all of sudden the pain is going to strike or something. I don't know. This is all feeling a little too easy so in the back of my mind I'm a little worried about the unexpected. And I think about how that nerve thing happened to you that one night, etc...

    ReplyDelete