Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 13 - Normal Update

Wow, I am feeling tired right now.  I had a busy day, but a really great day.  First, as you might have seen on the other Day 13 post I came up with the idea of trying to do a bunion facebook page.  I'm not sure that was the best way to try and make a site more interactive for people, but we will see if it goes over well or not.  If not no worries!

First thing I did when I got out of bed was I took a SHOWER!!  Yay!  It felt good to just be like every other normal american getting up and taking a shower.  The only thing is my foot turned a funny purple color.  I recall Sara mentioning this happening to her as well.  Tomorrow I will try to have my camera handy if I think of it and take a photo.  I could stand fine and was in now pain.  Keep in mind I only had one foot done so I can put lots of weight on my other good foot.  I also weighed myself and I'm actually down .7 from 11.17.2011, yet I'm assuming this is muscle mass so I'm not thrilled about the weight loss. I still feel fine body wise, but in a day or so I will be going back to the p90 tapes.  Even though I think I'm going to stick to the upper body ones and not do the leg one again for awhile.

GOOD NEWS!!  Slept like a baby - NO burning pains or heavy brick feeling like someone was squeezing my foot to death!!  AND I gotta say I felt a little naked because I didn't wear my surgery shoe to bed for the first time in 12 days!!  I still kept the big ass tube sock on that I was given to wear while in my walking boot.  And I also took down my elevation by about 2 pillows plus back roll stretchy things.  When I say I had my foot elevated I'm not lying.  I had one of those blue rollers that you use for stretching, then a normal pillow, a down comforter and a throw pillow under my foot the last 12 days.  I Know, I know... I'm a bit nutty, but when I'm told to elevate my foot above my heart I do it!  So last night I only used the down comforter!  And I might live on the edge today and lose the sock and maybe even the comforter, but that might be too CRAZY to go back sleeping like a normal person again!

My friend Molly stopped by today to drop off some vegan soup (which was yummy), tea, pita chips with humus, word puzzles and magazines.  She truly is so nice!!  I enjoy interacting with her because she is so down to early and just so sincere.  Our sons go to school together so it's nice.  She's got boys the same age as Riley and Anton plus she's got another little one that came along today.  Her hands are full!!  Yet, she's so calm and relaxed when I see her.  Anyway - Thanks Molly for the visit!

While she was here though I was showing her my foot and noticed how now my bruises are moving to the bottom of my foot and along the edge of my foot.  Honestly, yesterday these bruises were not here. In person the color is much deeper, but I thought it was interesting and I think I remember others commenting on how suddenly their foot was bruised too.  Anyway - had to share that not only will your toes look butt ugly, but your whole foot/feet will decide to join the B&B party!  I honestly don't think I have ever thought about feet or looked at my foot this much in my life.  It truly does make me laugh how now this has become my life.
So in the photos below I am trying to model me doing my toe exercises!  What a pain this is to remember.  When I heard 8x a day 30 seconds forward / 30 seconds backwards.  I thought oh that will be easy!  No it's not.  First you have to remember to do it and then you have to keep track of how many times you did it.  I still have one more set to get in and it's already 6:34 p.m.  I just thought oh I'll do these on the hour - yeah right!  I have iced my foot after doing the exercises not knowing if this is bothering them or not.   Keep in mind I am very flexible and always have been, but I can tug on that toe like there is no tomorrow.  Forward more so than downwards.  I can also move my toe pretty easily when I'm just laying, but I try not to do that too much.  When the doctor was showing me how to do my exercises yesterday I told him "it doesn't hurt when I pull on it and I'm almost afraid to keep pulling".  He mentioned to pull it until I feel an uncomfortable feeling.  Well, I pull until I feel tightness, but I think I could pull it more, but I'm afraid I might be doing too much too early.  My goal right now is just to remember to do it.  And I know I'm not really holding my toe correctly in these photos but I needed one hand to snap the photos (smile).  Anyway - remember to do your toe exercises and ladies remember to do your kegal exercises too while your at it (smile).  I can't remember to do those either!
Okay, probably enough foot pictures for awhile hey!!

  • Other fun updates - my mom and sister came to visit me in the afternoon!  My mom brought along some banana bread and of course the boys ate it all when they got home and Steve was like... where is my soup and where is my banana bread.  Had a fun visit and it was nice of them to come since they live 2 hours away so it was a 4 hour trip for them.
  • The boys got the tree decorated and all my x-mas houses up and on display.  Last year I started this thing where I took one of the small santa's from the house displayed and would hid it each night before bed and in the morning the boys would look for it and be all excited.  I did it like that "Elf on the Shelf", but with my own thing.   Of course they were talking all about it last night, yet before I went to bed I forgot to move the little guy, so this a.m. they come running down and were all confused why the little santa guy didn't move.  So I said "maybe he is just still recovering from being let out of the storage container" and they accepted that.  So as soon as they went out the door I moved the little guy and when the boys got home they were so EXCITED to see the guy was moved.  It's so cute to see them get so excited over the little things!  Now I have to remember to move it tonight.
  • The last two day's I've put in a few hours of work and that has felt good!  Each day I do a little more so that's keeping me busy too during the day.
  • I did not drive today - can you believe it!  Tomorrow a friend is having a little purse party and I thought maybe I'd venture there for a little bit.  Yet, I just don't want to over do anything either.  I will see how I feel.  Otherwise on Friday I have my dentist appointment so I will be doing that and then hitting Starbucks for my.... you know what... CHAI!
  • You'll be happy to know that Steve has been back to the grocery store and this time got me my banaville yogurt AND Chobani yogurt.  Now watch soon I will be saying I'm up 2 pounds : ) 
So all and all another good day and restful night!  Pray I have another good night.  I really have been in bed almost all day!!  When the boys came home we moved to the kitchen for a little bit, but then as soon as my mom and sister left then I was back in the bed!  Last night I watched Marley and Me.  Love that movie because it's so realistic regarding family life and the tiredness that goes along with having babies and that crazy dog reminds me so much of Allie.  She actually had a twisted stomach last year and I found her the same way the owner did in the movie.  Luckily we decided to move forward with the surgery and she recovered  perfectly.  It was just very scary and so sad.  Anyway - I had a good cry last night as I watched the movie.  I can't remember the movie I watched the night before.  Oh... remember me.  I had forgotten I had seen that one, but I re-watched it.  Descent flick.  Not my favorite, but good.

Humor me: go out to this site and share your story, a photo, a piece of advice, or just something you think others might find helpful or interesting.


Until next time rest peaceful and free your mind from thinking!  Be in the present moment!

4 comments:

  1. Julie--checked out the facebook page--looks good! When I feel up to it I'll post my story on it along with a few pictures.
    Well--had mine done today. Two BIG screws in it. I believe that it was called arthrodesis( bone fusion) Had it done around 8:30 AM. They did a lower leg block with I.V. Anesthesia. I don't remember anything! My lower leg & foot are still totally numb. I can't move my toes. The Doc said that it might take up to 36 hours to wear off. My wife, Janet, is a saint--she is helping me tremendously. I feel bad not being able to help, when I try she tells me to sit down!
    I go back the 14 of Dec for the suture removal & a check-up. After I'm totally healed I have to get the bunion on the other foot fixed. Well that's it for now. Sounds like you are healing really well & it sounds as though you are following Doctor's orders to a T---keep it up. Your Blog has been really helpful & I'm sure the facebook page will be as well. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how your first night went. Hopefully your foot stays numb, so then you don't feel much pain. My doc had mentioned too that my foot might be numb for a good 24 hours, yet by the first evening I was starting to feel some tingles, but some of my toes did stay numb until the next day.
    Let you wife help you over the next few days. You know your on your own come Monday, so just relax and let your foot heal!! Did your doctor not recommend you do both feet right away or was that your choice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leg nerve block wore off at 4:30 this (Thur) morning! Got up for a pain pill. Took painkiller this morning--it helps a lot. Pain is tolerable though. So far--so good!
    I decided to do the feet one at a time, glad now that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck tonight Joe. Maybe set your alarm and get ahead of the pain. I did that the first two nights. It will be interesting though once your all done and recovered if you will wish you had done both feet together or just happy to have one perfect foot done and one to go. I'm happy I only had to get one done and my other foot right now is good and I hope it stays that way but who knows. Remember keep icing!! Glad to hear all is going well!!

    ReplyDelete