Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 24

Hello All,

Just thought I'd say hello and I hope your all enjoying your weekend.  My weekend has been very low key and that was my plan.  Since I was on my feet a fair amount last week I though this weekend would be good to try and rest more and keep my foot up and iced every so often.

Yesterday a.m. I had two objectives - help Steve clean the house and exercise!  I accomplished both and had no increased pain or swelling.  I exercised 1 hour and 15 minutes (Shoulders, Chest, and Ab Riper video) and then cleaned for 2 hours wearing my air cast walking boot.  The afternoon I really did spend most of my time in bed just relaxing.  I had a friend over for each child so they were totally entertained and having a blast.  At night I watched the movie Case 39 - more of a thriller movie where there is a psycho child, so it had me jumping a few times.  All and all Saturday was a good day!

Today - I am proud to say I did my weight stuff for an hour (Legs and Back) and then are you ready.... I ventured out of the house for a walk down the road.  Yup!  A whole 14 minutes!  And I felt totally fine, but instead of going longer I thought I'd just come home and rest and take it easy the rest of the day.  If I have no increased pain or swelling then I think I might have to start adding in walking each day, so I hope the snow stays away for at least this week.  Allie however decided to stay out a while longer.  She likes to take off on me and run the neighborhood when I don't put her on the lease.  And today I just thought I'm going to let her run free since it's been a while for her too.  And she took off right out of the driveway.  We have invisible fencing so normally she stays in the yard, but she knows when we are going for a walk and when it's okay for her to cross over.  She she came back as she always does.  She goes and eats all the bio food people throw out back in the woods.  That part drives me crazy, yet at this point I think if she's happy I'm happy.  She's 12 and has had a good life so why try to change old habits! As you can see she fell fast to sleep when she returned and hasn't moved much!
And you can see I'm icing my foot like I should be...
I put my health club membership on hold just for a month, so figure come 12/17 I could get back in there too, but I'm trying to hold out until I get the official thumbs up from my Dr. on 12/20.  Also, I'd probably have to call and see if I could even be in the health club with the air cast or not.  I know someone else mentioned they were not allowed back in with an air cast on.

The boys just got back from skiing!  Their ski lessons started yesterday and they had so much fun they wanted to go back and ski today which was nice to hear.  They have been skiing for the past few years, but usually it's a pain in the neck to get them out the door.  Today they didn't complain or anything so it was great.  It's the same with going boating... you hear "I don't want to go on the boat", yet once they do it they have a blast and every time I just think "stop with the complaining already" because sometimes it can just set me off.

Have a great week.  Thursday marks 4 weeks for me so I'll try and remember to post photos.  The only changes since last week's post is all my strips have come off and I think most of the black and blue toes are gone.  My skin has not gotten dry and shed like I heard from other people.  Maybe it's just not there yet.  My scabs are looking good.  The two above my pins are a little more red then the other ones.  I am trying to put vaseline on my skin around the scar just to see if that helps keep the skin less tight feeling.   That's the only thing that bugs me is how tight that area feels and still the little bit of tightness in all my toes when I'm trying to bend them forward and backwards.  Here and there I've been trying to walk normal with my foot, yet find it funny that I feel like I have forgotten how to walk normal.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Julie - glad to hear you are up and around, walking the dog, working out and cleaning. The more weeks go by the more you are catching up to me since we are only 10 days apart.

    I think the vaseline has really helped make my incisions less itchy and dry. I've had a lot of the same tightness feelings on my left foot, because it it's so swollen, but none on the right foot. Is your incision area still pretty swollen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My foot has just stayed consistent. I don't notice additional swollen day to day. The top part of my incision looks better than the bottom part. Which is funny to me since it's the top part that is always getting bent, etc during my toe exercises. The incision hasn't started to itch or get dry yet, but that's why I thought I should maybe start on the vaseline now. I've used it the last two days. I just got back from a 20 minute walk with Allie so we will see if anything changes over the next day or not. I just want to get more blood circulating in the foot. Who knows if it comes back and bites me. I hope not. It feels good to get out and move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie
    Very nice of you to share your stories. I had my surgery on the left foot on Nov 29 and my first post op visit was yesterday. The doc said it is healinng well but the pin cannot be out for another four weeks (due partially to holiday in betwee). That means my foot is still bandaged for another month. You mention surgical shoes vs. boots. What are the differences? Actually the cast boot they provided to me is more flimsy than the one in your picture. More like a sandal with two straps so you can walk on your heels.
    Merry Christmas!

    Amy from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, not sure if the new pictures I posted tonight helps show the difference between the shoe vs boot. Glad to hear your bones are healing nicely. So is your pin visible to you - meaning does it stick out of your foot or no? I just ask because if not I'm assuming then they have to re-cut your skin to get at it or no? Thanks for your message and I hope you have a great Christmas too! Keep resting!!

    ReplyDelete