Tuesday, December 20, 2011

4 weeks and 3 days (3rd Post Op Dr. Visit)

Good News!  This Jack Sparrow Sassy Chick can resume back to all normal activities as of today!!  Yippee!

I had my 3rd post op visit today... here are the outcomes...

  • Formal name of the procedure I had done on 11/17/2011:  Hallux Valgus Deformity with Metatarsal Osteotomy and Screw Fixation.
  • Doctor said my bone/foot is healed and everything looks great inside and outside
  • Since my last appointment the screws have not moved
  • He said I can get back to my normal activities using common sense.  
  • He mentioned to hold off on trying to run until I get to 8 weeks.  So a few more weeks there. Which honestly made me happy.  I was thinking he tell me to wait longer on this one.
  • He said to wait until I do yoga until my walking is normal.
  • I can downhill ski, swim, bike, do the elliptical, or anything else and just listen to my foot
  • I can't hurt my foot at this point.  It's HEALED!!
  • He recommends not trying to fit into my shoes if they don't fit yet and just wait for the swelling to go down otherwise I will just feel discomfort/pain, but my foot can't get hurt
  • I do not have to go back to the doctor.  My visits are done.
  • I can get a pedicure, take a bath, etc..
  • He said to walk slow now, but try to walk normal to keep loosening up the tightness and let the full range of motion come back naturally.
  • My range of motion is great and I do not need any PT
  • He said to call if I have any questions or concerns
  • When I asked if my big toe bending over is normal he said yes.  Everyone is going to have some degree of that toe bending over.  Usually it's about 15%.  He said there is a small procedure that can be done to fix it but it really is not worth doing.  He said to keep wearing the toe spacer for a couple more weeks just as added "support".  He had no concerns about the toe being bent over.
  • He said when I over do it I should just ice and elevate my foot
  • He said swelling is normal and then all of sudden it will be gone and stay gone.
So all and all I'm on my own now and should just ease back into things naturally!  Yippee!!  I will try and keep posting progress updates for a little while until I do feel like I am truly back to doing thing normally and not even thinking about my toe/foot.  I appreciate all your questions, comments and stories so please keep sharing and asking.  Thanks for following me on this journey!! I'd like to think in a month this surgery is something in the past.  Time will tell!!  Okay, gotta run since I have a meeting at 3:30.  Need to go prepare, but wanted to share the good news!!

The scabs are coming off my scar nicely.  This picture looks sort of gross. My foot looks all wrinkled from my sock, but every day I think the scar is looking better and better.
Here are the x-rays from today.  They look the same as the ones I posted in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Julie, congratulations on your progress! I think your little exercises really helped keep your range of motion, whereas I had to get a couple of PT sessions in get my range of motion back, since the front part of my feet were immobolized for 5 weeks. I have seen a tremendous amount of success in my range of motion this last week and finally made it back to the gym for a little cardio today! Not much longer and all will back to normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb. That's awesome. Yeah, I gotta say I think the sooner one starts on the toe exercises the better, yet I'm sure every doctor has their reasons for why they do what they do. Your field trip will go great next week!! Feels good to get back to the gym, hey! I wouldn't mind going back to those part time days of work though : ) Glad your seeing a difference in your range of motion.

    ReplyDelete